|Product Name||Lives on the Boundary: A Moving Account of the Struggles and Achievements of America's Educationally Un derprepared|
|Category||Book / Magazine / Publication|
|Amazon.com||Buy on Amazon ~ 0143035460|
|Price New||7.85 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Price Used||2.00 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Width||0.53 inches (convert)|
|Height||7.74 inches (convert)|
|Length||5.09 inches (convert)|
|Weight||7.04 ounces (convert)|
|Features||Lives on the Boundary by Mike Rose|
|Long Description||The award-winning account of how America's educational system fails it students and what can be done about it|
Remedial, illiterate, intellectually deficient—these are the stigmas that define America’s educationally underprepared. Having grown up poor and been labeled this way, nationally acclaimed educator and author Mike Rose takes us into classrooms and communities to reveal what really lies behind the labels and test scores. With rich detail, Rose demonstrates innovative methods to initiate “problem” students into the world of language, literature, and written expression. This book challenges educators, policymakers, and parents to re-examine their assumptions about the capacities of a wide range of students.
Already a classic, Lives on the Boundary offers a truly democratic vision, one that should be heeded by anyone concerned with America’s future.
"A mirror to the many lacking perfect grammar and spelling who may see their dreams translated into reality after all." -Los Angeles Times Book Review
"Vividly written . . . tears apart all of society's prejudices about the academic abilities of the underprivileged." -New York Times
|Similar Items||9780195025071: Errors And Expectations: A Guide For The Teacher Of Basic Writing (Oxford University Press Paperback)|
9780194328142: Teaching English Overseas: An Introduction (Oxford Handbooks for Language Teachers Series)
9780155069688: Collaborative Writing In Composition Studies (Wadsworth Series In Composition Studies)
9780143035572: The Mind At Work: Valuing The Intelligence Of The American Worker
9780140274639: Point Last Seen: A Woman Tracker's Story Of Domestic Violence And Personal Triumph
9780140236170: Possible Lives: The Promise Of Public Education In America
9780140112177: The Closing Of The American Mind: How Higher Education Has Failed Democracy And Impoverished The Souls Of Today's Students
9780099492757: The Bedford Handbook With 2009 Mla And 2010 Apa Updates, Eighth Edition
9780030892349: A Rhetoric For Writing Teachers
9780030207518: Plural I: Teaching Of Writing
View 59 more similar items
|Search Google||by EAN or by Title|
Article of interest
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As a user, you may not notice the changes right away. When you do, you may only think there is a cosmetic change to how the information is presented. But in the background, a great deal of improved logic will exist.
This change is rather substantial in regard to how the data is stored and accessed so it could be a couple weeks before we are finished and make the changes visible to the end users. We simply wanted to let you now that the canges were coming and that with this set of changes more new features are on the way.
Some things that will be changing:
- Companies will no longer have a Company ID that is in any related to the UPC/EAN code. Company ID use to be the first 7+ digits of the product code but that has proven to be a problem since the changes by the GIS on how codes are issued.
- The company edit form will change. We use to allow edits one item at a time but that is going to end. The company edit form will place all fields into one big edit form with only one save button. This may sound like a trivial change and on screen it really is. But in the background this is a very important change and will help make company management a lot easier.
- In the data feed, the company ID will be replaced with a new number. This new number will serve the same function, connecting products to companies but it will function in a much more useful way. We haven't decided if we will call the field the same thing or not yet. The content will change for sure.
- Data downloads will have better company links making it much easier to sort out the company data and link it to products.
- Duplicate company records that use to have different company ID values will get merged together so in the end, each company will only be in the database once. Right now, a company can be listed multiple times because they own multiple prefix codes.
We hope these changes will in the end produce better lookups, faster searches and more meaningful searches. We will use this upgrade to add more features in the future.