|Product Name||The New Dictionary Of Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs To Know|
|Category||Book / Magazine / Publication|
|Short Description||Height:6.04 inches / Length:0.31 inches / Weight:0.78 pounds / Width:9.06 inches|
|Amazon.com||Buy on Amazon ~ 0618226478|
|Price New||12.47 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Price Used||2.06 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Width||1.8 inches (convert)|
|Height||9.25 inches (convert)|
|Length||7.69 inches (convert)|
|Weight||56.64 ounces (convert)|
|Author||E. D. Hirsch, Joseph F. Kett, James Trefil|
|Features||Used Book in Good Condition|
|Long Description||In this fast-paced information age, how can Americans know what's really important and what's just a passing fashion? Now more than ever, we need a source that concisely sums up the knowledge that matters to Americans -- the people, places, ideas, and events that shape our cultural conversation. With more than six thousand entries,The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy is that invaluable source. Wireless technology. Gene therapy. NAFTA. In addition to the thousands of terms described in the original Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, here are more than five hundred new entries to bring Americans' bank of essential knowledge up to date. The original entries have been fully revised to reflect recent changes in world history and politics, American literature, and, especially, science and technology. Cultural icons that have stood the test of time (Odysseus, Leaves of Grass, Cleopatra, the Taj Mahal, D-Day) appear alongside entries on such varied concerns as cryptography, the digital divide, the European Union, Kwanzaa, pheromones, SPAM, Type A and Type B personalities, Web browsers, and much, much more. As our world becomes more global and interconnected, it grows smaller through the terms and touchstones that unite us. As E. D. Hirsch writes in the preface, "Community is built up of shared knowledge and values -- the same shared knowledge that is taken for granted when we read a book or newspaper, and that is also taken for granted as part of the fabric that connects us to one another." A delicious concoction of information for anyone who wants to be in the know, The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy brilliantly confirms once again that it is "an excellent piece of work . . . stimulating and enlightening" (New York Times) -- the most definitive and comprehensive family sourcebook of its kind.|
|Similar Items||9780073201924: Nation of Nations: A Concise Narrative of the American Republic|
9780073033754: Nation Of Nations: A Concise Narrative Of The American Republic
9780072981094: News Writing and Reporting for Today's Media
9780072315073: Nation Of Nations (Volume I: To 1877)
9780071199605: News Writing And Reporting For Today's Media
9780070328747: News Writing And Reporting For Today's Media (Mcgraw-Hill Series In Mass Communication)
9780062080066: Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need To Know About American History But Never Learned
9780061810886: Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia 5e: Fifth Edition
9780060161446: Masterpieces Of World Literature
9780060083823: Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need To Know About American History But Never Learned
View 59 more similar items
|Search Google||by EAN or by Title|
Article of interest
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As a user, you may not notice the changes right away. When you do, you may only think there is a cosmetic change to how the information is presented. But in the background, a great deal of improved logic will exist.
This change is rather substantial in regard to how the data is stored and accessed so it could be a couple weeks before we are finished and make the changes visible to the end users. We simply wanted to let you now that the canges were coming and that with this set of changes more new features are on the way.
Some things that will be changing:
- Companies will no longer have a Company ID that is in any related to the UPC/EAN code. Company ID use to be the first 7+ digits of the product code but that has proven to be a problem since the changes by the GIS on how codes are issued.
- The company edit form will change. We use to allow edits one item at a time but that is going to end. The company edit form will place all fields into one big edit form with only one save button. This may sound like a trivial change and on screen it really is. But in the background this is a very important change and will help make company management a lot easier.
- In the data feed, the company ID will be replaced with a new number. This new number will serve the same function, connecting products to companies but it will function in a much more useful way. We haven't decided if we will call the field the same thing or not yet. The content will change for sure.
- Data downloads will have better company links making it much easier to sort out the company data and link it to products.
- Duplicate company records that use to have different company ID values will get merged together so in the end, each company will only be in the database once. Right now, a company can be listed multiple times because they own multiple prefix codes.
We hope these changes will in the end produce better lookups, faster searches and more meaningful searches. We will use this upgrade to add more features in the future.