|Product Name||The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, And Republics In The Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815 (Studies In North American Indian History)|
|Category||Book / Magazine / Publication|
|Amazon.com||Buy on Amazon ~ 0521424607|
|Price New||70.09 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Price Used||6.95 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Width||1.14 inches (convert)|
|Height||8.98 inches (convert)|
|Length||5.98 inches (convert)|
|Weight||25.6 ounces (convert)|
|Features||Used Book in Good Condition|
|Long Description||This book seeks to step outside the simple stories of Indian/white relations--stories of conquest and assimilation and stories of cultural persistence. It is, instead, about a search for accommodation and common meaning. It tells how Europeans and Indians met, regarding each other as alien, as virtually nonhuman, and how between 1650 and 1815 they constructed a common, mutually comprehensible world in the region around the Great Lakes that the French called the "Pays d'en haut". Here the older worlds of the Algonquins and various Europeans overlapped, and their mixture created new systems of meaning and of exchange. Finally, the book tells of the breakdown of accommodation and common meanings and the recreation of the Indians as alien and exotic. The process of accommodation described in this book takes place in a middle ground, a place in between cultures and peoples, and in between empires and non-state villages. On the middle ground people try to persuade others who are different than themselves by appealing to what they perceive to be the values and practices of those others. From the creative misunderstandings that result, there arise shared meanings and new practices.|
|Similar Items||9780516255903: The Comanche Empire (The Lamar Series In Western History)|
9780472064472: Rites Of Conquest: The History And Culture Of Michigan's Native Americans
9780472061075: The Indians Of The Western Great Lakes, 1615-1760 (Ann Arbor Paperbacks)
9780393324945: American Slavery, American Freedom
9780393319767: Into The American Woods: Negotiations On The Pennsylvania Frontier
9780393306408: Empire Of Fortune: Crowns, Colonies, And Tribes In The Seven Years War In America (Reprint)
9780393304978: The Legacy Of Conquest: The Unbroken Past Of The American West
9780195029048: The European And The Indian: Essays In The Ethnohistory Of Colonial North America
9780140150773: The Portable North American Indian Reader (Viking Portable Library)
9780140092332: Sweetness And Power: The Place Of Sugar In Modern History
View 25 more similar items
|Search Google||by EAN or by Title|
Article of interest
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As a user, you may not notice the changes right away. When you do, you may only think there is a cosmetic change to how the information is presented. But in the background, a great deal of improved logic will exist.
This change is rather substantial in regard to how the data is stored and accessed so it could be a couple weeks before we are finished and make the changes visible to the end users. We simply wanted to let you now that the canges were coming and that with this set of changes more new features are on the way.
Some things that will be changing:
- Companies will no longer have a Company ID that is in any related to the UPC/EAN code. Company ID use to be the first 7+ digits of the product code but that has proven to be a problem since the changes by the GIS on how codes are issued.
- The company edit form will change. We use to allow edits one item at a time but that is going to end. The company edit form will place all fields into one big edit form with only one save button. This may sound like a trivial change and on screen it really is. But in the background this is a very important change and will help make company management a lot easier.
- In the data feed, the company ID will be replaced with a new number. This new number will serve the same function, connecting products to companies but it will function in a much more useful way. We haven't decided if we will call the field the same thing or not yet. The content will change for sure.
- Data downloads will have better company links making it much easier to sort out the company data and link it to products.
- Duplicate company records that use to have different company ID values will get merged together so in the end, each company will only be in the database once. Right now, a company can be listed multiple times because they own multiple prefix codes.
We hope these changes will in the end produce better lookups, faster searches and more meaningful searches. We will use this upgrade to add more features in the future.