|Product Name||Civil Society And The Political Imagination In Africa: Critical Perspectives|
|Category||Book / Magazine / Publication|
|Amazon.com||Buy on Amazon ~ 0226114147|
|Price New||19.85 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Price Used||9.93 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Width||1 inches (convert)|
|Height||9 inches (convert)|
|Length||6 inches (convert)|
|Weight||15.68 ounces (convert)|
|Long Description||The essays in this important new collection explore the diverse, unexpected, and controversial ways in which the idea of civil society has recently entered into populist politics and public debate throughout Africa. In a substantial introduction, anthropologists Jean and John Comaroff offer a critical theoretical analysis of the nature and deployment of the concept—and the current debates surrounding it. Building on this framework, the contributors investigate the "problem" of civil society across their regions of expertise, which cover the continent. Drawing creatively on one another's work, they examine the impact of colonial ideology, postcoloniality, and development practice on discourses of civility, the workings of everyday politics, the construction of new modes of selfhood, and the pursuit of moral community. Incisive and original, the book shows how struggles over civil society in Africa reveal much about larger historical forces in the post-Cold War era. It also makes a strong case for the contribution of historical anthropology to contemporary discourses on the rise of a "new world order."|
|Similar Items||9780691120652: Friction: An Ethnography Of Global Connection|
9780689837494: Friction: An Ethnography Of Global Connection
9780520204355: On The Postcolony (Studies On The History Of Society And Culture)
9780300056693: Domination And The Arts Of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts
9780091279110: Domination And The Arts Of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts
9780268037284: Dissonances: Democratic Critiques of Democracy (ND Kellogg Inst Int'l Studies)
9781596051492: The Vested Interests And The Common Man
9780226764580: Bewitching Development: Witchcraft And The Reinvention Of Development In Neoliberal Kenya (Chicago Studies In Practices Of Meaning)
9780802818072: Ethnicity, Inc. (Chicago Studies In Practices Of Meaning)
9780226114729: Ethnicity, Inc. (Chicago Studies In Practices Of Meaning)
9780226586519: Modernity And Its Malcontents: Ritual And Power In Postcolonial Africa
9780226114408: Modernity And Its Malcontents: Ritual And Power In Postcolonial Africa
9780253212863: Criminalization Of The State In Africa (African Issues)
|Search Google||by EAN or by Title|
Article of interest
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As a user, you may not notice the changes right away. When you do, you may only think there is a cosmetic change to how the information is presented. But in the background, a great deal of improved logic will exist.
This change is rather substantial in regard to how the data is stored and accessed so it could be a couple weeks before we are finished and make the changes visible to the end users. We simply wanted to let you now that the canges were coming and that with this set of changes more new features are on the way.
Some things that will be changing:
- Companies will no longer have a Company ID that is in any related to the UPC/EAN code. Company ID use to be the first 7+ digits of the product code but that has proven to be a problem since the changes by the GIS on how codes are issued.
- The company edit form will change. We use to allow edits one item at a time but that is going to end. The company edit form will place all fields into one big edit form with only one save button. This may sound like a trivial change and on screen it really is. But in the background this is a very important change and will help make company management a lot easier.
- In the data feed, the company ID will be replaced with a new number. This new number will serve the same function, connecting products to companies but it will function in a much more useful way. We haven't decided if we will call the field the same thing or not yet. The content will change for sure.
- Data downloads will have better company links making it much easier to sort out the company data and link it to products.
- Duplicate company records that use to have different company ID values will get merged together so in the end, each company will only be in the database once. Right now, a company can be listed multiple times because they own multiple prefix codes.
We hope these changes will in the end produce better lookups, faster searches and more meaningful searches. We will use this upgrade to add more features in the future.