|Product Name||Oxford Book of Aphorisms (Oxford Books of Prose)|
|Category||Book / Magazine / Publication|
|Amazon.com||Buy on Amazon ~ 0192804561|
|Price New||18.41 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Price Used||12.54 US Dollars (curriencies)|
|Width||1 inches (convert)|
|Height||5 inches (convert)|
|Length||7.7 inches (convert)|
|Weight||8.96 ounces (convert)|
|Long Description||An aphorism is "a short pithy statement or maxim," but beneath this definition lies a wealth of wit and insight to which neither the word nor a brief description can do justice. This anthology demonstrates just how rewarding an art form the aphorism can be, and just how brilliantly the aphorist can illuminate the hidden truth, or lay bare the ironies of existence. Specific sections on desires and longings, self-doubt, fame and reputations, happiness and sorrow, cover the whole range of aphoristic literature. This book brings together the most diverse figures--the classic aphorists, like La Rochefoucauld; the philosophers, from the Greeks to Samuel Johnson to Virginia Woolf--as well as statesmen, scientists, boulevardiers, Olympians, and gadflies. John Gross draws on their wisdom and wit to produce an anthology that will be referred to time and time again.|
|Similar Items||9780199235179: A Dictionary of Euphemisms (Oxford Quick Reference)|
9780198607625: A Dictionary of Euphemisms: How Not To Say What You Mean (Oxford Quick Reference)
9780198600589: Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations
9780198530879: I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History’s Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
9780198249351: I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History’s Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
9780198117339: I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History’s Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
9780192818805: A Dictionary of Proverbs (Oxford Quick Reference)
9780136081258: Genghis Khan And The Making Of The Modern World
9780061358135: I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History’s Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
9780060536992: Oxymoronica: Paradoxical Wit & Wisdom From History's Greatest Wordsmiths
View 46 more similar items
|Search Google||by EAN or by Title|
Article of interest
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As a user, you may not notice the changes right away. When you do, you may only think there is a cosmetic change to how the information is presented. But in the background, a great deal of improved logic will exist.
This change is rather substantial in regard to how the data is stored and accessed so it could be a couple weeks before we are finished and make the changes visible to the end users. We simply wanted to let you now that the canges were coming and that with this set of changes more new features are on the way.
Some things that will be changing:
- Companies will no longer have a Company ID that is in any related to the UPC/EAN code. Company ID use to be the first 7+ digits of the product code but that has proven to be a problem since the changes by the GIS on how codes are issued.
- The company edit form will change. We use to allow edits one item at a time but that is going to end. The company edit form will place all fields into one big edit form with only one save button. This may sound like a trivial change and on screen it really is. But in the background this is a very important change and will help make company management a lot easier.
- In the data feed, the company ID will be replaced with a new number. This new number will serve the same function, connecting products to companies but it will function in a much more useful way. We haven't decided if we will call the field the same thing or not yet. The content will change for sure.
- Data downloads will have better company links making it much easier to sort out the company data and link it to products.
- Duplicate company records that use to have different company ID values will get merged together so in the end, each company will only be in the database once. Right now, a company can be listed multiple times because they own multiple prefix codes.
We hope these changes will in the end produce better lookups, faster searches and more meaningful searches. We will use this upgrade to add more features in the future.