FILEFRAGSection: Maintenance Commands (8)
Updated: March 2018
Index | Return to Main Contents
NAMEfilefrag - report on file fragmentation
SYNOPSISfilefrag [ -bblocksize ] [ -BeksvxX ] [ files... ]
DESCRIPTIONfilefrag reports on how badly fragmented a particular file might be. It makes allowances for indirect blocks for ext2 and ext3 filesystems, but can be used on files for any filesystem.
- Force the use of the older FIBMAP ioctl instead of the FIEMAP ioctl for testing purposes.
- Use blocksize in bytes for output instead of the filesystem blocksize. For compatibility with earlier versions of filefrag, if blocksize is unspecified it defaults to 1024 bytes.
- Print output in extent format, even for block-mapped files.
- Use 1024-byte blocksize for output (identical to '-b 1024').
- Sync the file before requesting the mapping.
- Be verbose when checking for file fragmentation.
- Display mapping of extended attributes.
- Display extent block numbers in hexadecimal format.
AUTHORfilefrag was written by Theodore Ts'o <email@example.com>.
Return to Main Contents