DUMPE2FSSection: Maintenance Commands (8)
Updated: March 2018
Index | Return to Main Contents
NAMEdumpe2fs - dump ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem information
SYNOPSISdumpe2fs [ -bfghixV ] [ -o superblock=superblock ] [ -o blocksize=blocksize ] device
DESCRIPTIONdumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the filesystem present on device.
- print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem.
- -o superblock=superblock
- use the block superblock when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem.
- -o blocksize=blocksize
- use blocks of blocksize bytes when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem.
- force dumpe2fs to display a filesystem even though it may have some filesystem feature flags which dumpe2fs may not understand (and which can cause some of dumpe2fs's display to be suspect).
- display the group descriptor information in a machine readable colon-separated value format. The fields displayed are the group number; the number of the first block in the group; the superblock location (or -1 if not present); the range of blocks used by the group descriptors (or -1 if not present); the block bitmap location; the inode bitmap location; and the range of blocks used by the inode table.
- only display the superblock information and not any of the block group descriptor detail information.
- display the filesystem data from an image file created by e2image, using device as the pathname to the image file.
- print the detailed group information block numbers in hexadecimal format
- print the version number of dumpe2fs and exit.
BUGSYou need to know the physical filesystem structure to understand the output.
AUTHORdumpe2fs was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. It is currently being maintained by Theodore Ts'o <email@example.com>.
AVAILABILITYdumpe2fs is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net.
SEE ALSOe2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8). ext4(5)
Return to Main Contents