1. Executable programs or shell commands
HEADSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: February 2022
Index | Return to Main Contents
NAMEhead - output the first part of files
SYNOPSIShead [,OPTION/]... [,FILE/]...
Print the first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name.
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -c, --bytes=,[-]NUM/
- print the first NUM bytes of each file; with the leading '-', print all but the last NUM bytes of each file
- -n, --lines=,[-]NUM/
- print the first NUM lines instead of the first 10; with the leading '-', print all but the last NUM lines of each file
- -q, --quiet, --silent
- never print headers giving file names
- -v, --verbose
- always print headers giving file names
- -z, --zero-terminated
- line delimiter is NUL, not newline
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
NUM may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. Binary prefixes can be used, too: KiB=K, MiB=M, and so on.
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
REPORTING BUGSGNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report any translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Full documentation <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/head>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) head invocation'
Return to Main Contents