Site News and Events
Information about changes being made to the site such as upgrades to the pages, additions in functionality and changes to how things work. We will also post information about planned outages if needed.
We are upgrading some core functions across the entire website.
A wind storm took the power out again but only for a few hours.
Due to an ice storm, our county experienced wide spread power and internet loss.
How do we use your personal information or the data you enter into our system?
People have mentioned that they had some issues in creating the tables needed to import the data. We added build scripts to the data downloads that should make that easier if you are using MySQL, MS SQL Server or Oracle.
The site has been updating over the past few months and now we are done with the big upgrade!
Our area was hit by a power outage in the evening on 11/24/2013. Our systems safely shut down before the battery backup ran out. When the power was restored, we received our alert and were able to power on all of the systems in sequence without any issue. Sorry for the interuption in service but it was beyond our control.
Over the past few months, we have been making some very big changes to the site. You have already seen some of the cosmetic changes but the bulk of the changes have been behind the scenes.
We spent some time to give the site a face lift. We are working on a lot of changes in the background to improve your experience and some user interface changes come with that.
We have created an Android mobile app to make accessing the site easier from your mobile devices. For more information, visit the mobile app blog.
For a couple months, we have been working on a major revamp of the database. All the existing data will be saved of course but many new data elements will be created.
We just finished a big hardware upgrade and then a minor sofware upgrade. Now we are looking at revamping the data layout to make this site more robust and useful to everyone.
Thank you all for your patence and understanding during the last several weeks as we added new equipment to the web site. We are all finished with the hardware portion of the upgrade.
Well heck! We had another upgrade of hardware today and the process simply took far longer than expected. Sorry!
This weekend was a long one. We installed a new database server and copied all the data from the old server to the new one.
Sorry folks for the slow and spotty service to our site yesterday (1/10/2013). There was work being done in the area and it caused general service interuptions.
This is just a general comment to those that might be interested in some technical info about our site and how Google interacts with it.
Over the past couple weeks we have gone through and updated the way you can help us keep the site up to date. If you are a registered memeber of the site, you can help and earn lookup credits by validating products and putting things in the right category.
We upgraded the database quite a bit. We are doing a better job of locating data around the web and for the most part. We have added links from one product to similar products to help you find what you are looking for.
We just completed a major upgrade to the backend with a minor face lift to the web site. More changes are coming soon!
Like so many sites, we use AdSense to generate income through this web site. And some of the things we do are to make sure we stay in compliance with the AdSense policies.
We will be offline from about 8pm Pacific time on 10/5/2012 and expect to be back online by 6am on 10/6/2012. UPDATE: The upgrade completed at 7:30am.
We are not hosted at GoDaddy, but we are registered there and have our DSN settings stored with them. So when Anonymous attacked GoDaddy, we were impacted too.
If you read earlier articles you will know that we had to do a major hardware rebuild and restore from backups. Well we have gotten everything back up and it all seem stable so we are moving on to work on the upgrade again.
Although we have had a couple days lately when we have been down for maintenance, looking back over the last couple years we can say that we have been available 99.5% of the time and that isn't too bad at all.
This time it wasn't our fault. There were power issues due to a substation down the street catching fire. We don't know the details of how it happened. But we do know that there were a lot of surges and some made it through our UPS to take out our main server.
Due to changes in how codes are sold, we have decided to abandon the old method for associating products to companies and try something new. This change will make it easier to enter corrections for company data as well as making it easier for companies to manage their own product collection.
As our site has grown, we have gotten more requests for data and image downloads. When we were small we handled these by hand and then later added a little automation. Now we have cleaned it up and made it easier to use.
You may have noticed that we were off line for a while here and there over the past couple days.